Associate Director of Public Relations and Marketing
Preservation Virginia seeks an Associate Director of Public Relations and Marketing to expand awareness of the organization and its many statewide programs and services. Founded in 1889, Preservation Virginia is entering its 125th anniversary and will leverage that opportunity with growing activity statewide. This position will be part of the senior team.
Required Qualifications: Minimum of five years demonstrated success in public relations and marketing of programs and special events and excellent communication and writing skills. A background in historic preservation a plus.
Full-time; salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
How to apply: Send cover, resume and writing samples and three initial references to: Search Committee, Preservation Virginia , 204 West Franklin Street, Richmond, VA 23220 EOE
Cape Henry Lighthouse Interpreter
The position of Cape Henry Lighthouse Museum Interpreter is a part time, hourly position without benefits. Located inside of the Fort Story military base, in Virginia Beach, VA, Cape Henry Lighthouse is the first public works project to be authorized by the newly formed U.S. Congress in 1792. Cape Henry Lighthouse is owned and operated by Preservation Virginia, the oldest statewide preservation organization in the nation.
Interpreters must enjoy people, science and history. Some college preferred. Position requires significant outside work in both hot and cold weather, requires energy and physical stamina, ability to walk and climb substantial quantity of stairs and ability to lift 50 pounds. Must like working with and speaking to the public for several hours at a time. Prior knowledge of American History and or giving public tours preferred.
Position is part time and does require working weekends. A valid ID is required to gain access to the active Fort Story Base in Virginia Beach.
The duties of the position are as follows:
- Interpreters will provide accurate and well organized tours of the house and site to the general public, tour groups, and school groups.
- Interpreters welcome the public, collect tickets, and direct visitors to facilities, exhibits, and interesting aspects of the site.
- Interpreters represent Cape Henry Lighthouse and Preservation Virginia to visitors and shall conduct themselves at all times in a courteous and professional manner. Interpreters will inform visitors of the organization’s goals and programs, the need for financial support, and the advantages of becoming a member.
- Interpreters assist in providing security and care for the site, building, and collections. They help ensure the safety of the visiting public and must respond calmly and professionally to emergencies. They follow institutional procedures and will report any changes in the condition of the lighthouse or collection promptly to the Site Coordinator.
- Interpreters assist with special programs, including but not limited to site rentals and special events, often held on evenings and weekends.
- Interpreters participate actively in regularly scheduled staff meetings and training opportunities. Interpreters are required to update or modify their tours as new and relevant information becomes available.
- Interpreters assist in the office as needed, for example by answering the telephone or doing clerical work.
- Interpreters assist with keeping Cape Henry Lighthouse clean, including but not limited to keeping the staff areas clean and tidy, cleaning the bathrooms, taking out trash, sweeping the museum store and steps daily, etc.
- Interpreters open and close the site, if trained and required to do so.
- Interpreters welcome visitors into the museum store, encourage sales and answer questions, operate the cash register and keep accurate sales records as directed, and keep the shop tidy and well stocked.
Cape Henry Lighthouse Interpreters report to Cape Henry Lighthouse Site Coordinator(s) and are responsible for other duties, as assigned.
The position is as-scheduled but interpreters can expect to work 8-29 hours per week.
To apply, click here to print out an application. Please complete the application and email a scanned copy along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Position is open until filled. EOE.