Patrick Henry’s Scotchtown
Historic Site Interpreter
Patrick Henry’s Scotchtown is seeking interpreters to participate in its current work. Through programs and tours of the site, Patrick Henry’s Scotchtown seeks to promote dialogue and historical perspective about the American Revolution, liberty and human rights by examining the Henry’s experiences at Scotchtown. The Historic Site Interpreter position is open to anyone over the age of 18 interested in pursuing dialogue-based visitor experiences in a small museum setting.
This position is part time, hourly and provides no benefits. Patrick Henry’s Scotchtown is owned and operated by Preservation Virginia, the oldest statewide preservation organization in the nation. The interpreter is directly supervised by the Site Coordinator.
Applications for interpreters will be accepted through December 13th. Selected applicants will begin mandatory training on January 4th, 18th and February 7-8th and 22nd.
Patrick Henry’s Scotchtown will be open for the 2014 season on Saturday, March 1st. All Selected applicants must be able to fulfill all duties of the position as follows:
- Interpreters will provide accurate and well organized tours of the site to the general public, tour groups, and school groups using the provided tour manual as their primary resource and guide for authority.
- All interpreters must read the tour manual and assigned compendium of approved resources prior to conducting tours for the public.
- Interpreters serve as primary customer service contacts and will welcome the public, collect admission fees or tickets, and direct visitors to facilities, exhibits, and interesting aspects of the site.
- Interpreters represent the site and Preservation Virginia to visitors and shall conduct themselves at all times in a courteous and professional manner. They promote the organization’s goals and programs, the need for financial support, and the advantages of becoming a member.
- The interpreter is to be fully aware of the advantages and benefits of visitors becoming members and supporters of Preservation Virginia and be able to articulate the mission of the organization and how the Patrick Henry’s Scotchtown fits into the mission of the organization.
- Interpreters assist in providing security and care for the site, building, and collections. They help ensure the safety of the visiting public and respond calmly and professionally to emergencies. They follow institutional procedures and will report any changes in condition of the house or collection promptly to the Site Coordinator or Director of Preservation Services.
- Interpreters assist with special programs, including but not limited to site rentals and special events, often held on evenings and weekends.
- Interpreters participate actively in regularly scheduled staff meetings and training opportunities. Interpreters are required to update or modify their tours as new and relevant information becomes available.
- Interpreters assist in the office as needed when not giving tours, for example by answering the telephone or doing clerical work.
- Interpreters assist with keeping the site clean, including but not limited to keeping the staff areas (kitchen and desk area) clean and tidy, cleaning the bathrooms, taking out trash, sweeping the porch and steps, etc.
- Interpreters assist visitors to the museum store, encourage sales and answer questions, operate the cash register and keep accurate sales records as directed, and keep the shop tidy and well stocked.
- Interpreters are responsible for handling the financial transactions at the site according to the established operating procedures, are to be accurate and precise when processing the transactions and should disclose any discrepancies to the site coordinator.
- Interpreters will be reviewed on an annual basis by the Site Coordinator to provide guidance and support in the full carrying out of their responsibilities.
- Interpreters perform other duties as assigned in furtherance of the mission of Patrick Henry’s Scotchtown and Preservation Virginia.
To apply, click here to print out an application. Please complete the application and email a scanned copy along with your resume to email@example.com
Part-Time Visitor Services Associate
Preservation Virginia seeks part-time Visitor Services Associate to provide exceptional customer service at the Historic Jamestowne Visitor Center. Successful candidates will work in a team-oriented environment assisting guests with ticket purchases and orientation to the historic park. The Visitor Services Associate welcomes guests, provides information about ticket options, serves as a cashier handling cash, check and charge transactions as well as directs and orients visitors to the historic park.
Associates can be scheduled to work 16 - 29 hours per week. Hours will vary weekly. Weekend and holiday work is required. The Visitor Center hours are Monday through Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Candidates should have flexibility to accommodate this schedule.
Qualified candidates should be honest, reliable and a team player. They should possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills; be able to maintain focus and professional demeanor while serving large numbers of visitors; display a high level of attention to detail; show initiative; be able to assess and resolve visitor needs quickly; and be comfortable with basic computer operations. Candidates must be able to stand for extended periods of time during their shift. High school diploma or G.E.D required.
This is a part-time position and provides no benefits. A federal background check will be required for employment.
To apply for this position, send a resume, and contact details for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30PM on September 27th. No phone calls please.
Cape Henry Lighthouse Interpreter
Position: Part-time Interpreter for Cape Henry Lighthouse
Hours: Up to 20 hours per week
INTERPRETER - Preservation Virginia seeks an enthusiastic Interpreter for Cape Henry Lighthouse to provide tours and educational programs and to work retail operations in museum store. Applicants must enjoy people, science and history. Some college preferred. Position requires significant outside work in both hot and cold weather, requires energy and physical stamina, ability to walk and climb substantial quantity of stairs and ability to lift 50 pounds. Position is part time and does require working weekends. A valid ID is required to gain access to the active Fort Story Base in Virginia Beach. To apply, click here to print out an application. Please complete the application and email a scanned copy along with your resume to email@example.com Position is open until filled. EOE.