The Fishback House
The home is 4000 sq. ft with 3 levels, 4 generous bedrooms (1 of which is a bed/sitting room), 2 charming first floor sitting rooms (1 with a fireplace and built in bookcases) the back sitting room enjoys a woodstove. Large dining room accommodates a dining table, a grand piano, an antique settee, china cabinets and two serving tables. The home has full bathrooms on both the first and second floor. The wide staircase is original, with hand turned spindles and banister. Very spacious rooms with high ceilings, original floors, some 9/6 windows, 6 fireplaces and a wood stove. Lowest level is an unfinished English basement with 2 fireplaces.
There is a screened porch, a front porch and a side entrance porch, which includes a “Greek Portico” and is currently the main entrance.
The “common area” of the property outside enjoys a large naturalized koi pond with two small waterfalls, and blends beautifully with its historic surroundings. There is a kitchen garden, an herb garden, fruit, walnut, and hazelnut trees. In the “east garden” stands a giant walnut tree under which the 2nd Battle of Manassas was planned by Generals Lee and Jackson.
His father, Martin Fishback, gave the house to Col. Frederick Fishback on the occasion of his marriage in 1826. Built in 2 sections the back half was added before the Civil War. At that time the house was owned and occupied by Dr. Alexander Harris.
In the front room of the house the ladies of the village sewed the battle flag for the Little Fork Rangers who received the flag on the front steps and marched to the 2nd Battle of Manassas. Behind the house stands a one room wood schoolhouse.
On the back acre remains the fieldstone foundation of the Jeffersonton Academy; Act of Assembly established the private school in 1828. It survived the Civil War and continued in operation until1892 and is now a designated archeological site.
The Village of Jeffersonton is located on the Washington/Charlottesville coach road; a road that was used by Thomas Jefferson who stopped here frequently and is said to have planted several willow trees on our property. The “grandchild” of one of these trees grows behind the koi pond.
The two properties occupy land that was owned by the Fishback family from 1730 to 1870 and was originally 2600 acres. The Fishbacks were part of the original Germanna Community in Culpepper. Col. William Meads Fishback was an acquaintance of and did business with Abraham Lincoln in 1857. Jeb Stuart and the 7th & 8th Cavalry fought here at the seizure of the Jeffersonton in October 1863.
To convey with the properties are copies of the photo of the Jeffersonton Academy when operational, a photo of the Fishback house during the tenure of Dr. Alexander Harris, the Little Fork Ranger battle flag along with memorabilia given to us by the family of Rev. John Light (owner 1975-1992) and numerous artifacts we have found on the properties.
Also a colony of beautiful, neutered semi-social feral cats (if desired) and a beautiful pond filled with koi (no choice).
|Land:||3 acres more or less|
|Cathy and Jim Deehan|