Fort Henry Branch
When Preservation Virginia was founded in 1889 as the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA), a branch structure was established that gave the organization a broader base of membership. It also helped the organization to reach out into communities throughout Virginia to identify and save historic landmarks. Originally, Branches were established in New York, Philadelphia, and Tennessee. However, as the need for preservation was seen in other communities across the nation, these out of state branches broke away from Preservation Virginia and established preservation and historical societies focusing on their own state's resources.
Today, the Preservation Virginia branches act as advocates for preservation in their cities, counties or regions. The branches are the base from which the organization operates. Located throughout the state of Virginia, these twenty-three branches have their individual areas of focus. Some branches maintain properties and oversee the interpretation at a site. Other branches focus on providing their region with educational opportunities related to preservation and preservation advocacy.
Whatever the individual mission, the Branches enrich the overall programs by diversifying the influence of Preservation Virginia throughout the state.
The branches are divided into regions to maintain communications and effectiveness of their programs. Branch directors are elected on a rotating basis form the individual memberships and serve volunteer terms
DirectorAlice Martin, Director
1546 Berkeley Avenue
Petersburg, VA 23805