Today the old Cape Henry Lighthouse silently guards the entry way into the Chesapeake Bay. Standing near the spot where in 1607 Captain Newport raised a cross to offer thanks for their safe crossing of the Atlantic, the Lighthouse is opened to the public.
Historic Jamestowne is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. The site is jointly administered by Preservation Virginia and the National Park Service.
With its cruciform shape, triple chimneys and curvilinear gables, Bacon's Castle is a rare surviving example of Jacobean architecture in America.
In 1772, George Washington purchased a house from Michael Robinson in Fredericksburg, Virginia for his mother. Mary Ball Washington spent her last seventeen years in this comfortable home.
Patrick Henry, orator of the American Revolution and first governor of Virginia, made his home at Scotchtown from 1771 to 1778.
John Smith, John Rolfe, Pocahontas and her father, Wahunsenacawh’s stories told through their interactions with the place now known as Smith’s Fort Plantation. Four centuries of this Nation’s history revealed in while touring a quaint middle class merchant’s home on the Southside of the James River.
The old Courthouse(1731), Clerk's Office(1731), and Prison(1814) from a remarkable assemblage of early Virginia Court buildings.
One of the nation's only bank museums, the Farmers' Bank was incorporated in 1812 and opened its Petersburg branch in 1817. The three-story Federal structure became a frequent gathering place for the Petersburg community.
This eighteenth-century building was restored to house the Hugh Mercer Apothecary. Dr. Mercer served the citizens of Fredericksburg with medicines and treatments of the time.
Once typical of courthouses across Virginia, this is one of only four remaining arcaded colonial court buildings. Built in 1750, it features a distinctive semi-circular apse popular in English churches of the era.
Reputedly the oldest residential dwelling in Richmond, this modest house is now surrounded by the Shockoe Valley commercial district.
Built by Charles Washington around 1760 as his home, this frame building became a tavern in 1792, operating in the bustling town of Fredericksburg.
John Marshall built his home in Richmond in 1790, eleven years prior to becoming the fourth Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
Built on the edge of the frontier wilderness, Smithfield offered a last vestige of civilization as frontiersman traveled west.
A rare survivor of penal architecture of the colonial period, this building was constructed in 1782.
Cole Digges, a Revolutionary War hero, built his house in Richmond in 1805. Renovated in 1995, the building now houses the statewide offices of Preservation Virginia.
Dr. Walter Reed, famous U. S. Army physician and medical hero of the Spanish-American War, was born here on September 13, 1851.
Pear Valley represents a rare survival of what was once a common building type in rural Virginia. This yeoman planter's cottage has been dated by dendrochronology to 1740.
A granite marker and bronze tablet commemorate the site of Cub Creek Church, one of the most important sites for Presbyterianism in America.
The St. James' House at 1300 Charles Street was built around 1768 and is one of the few eighteenth-century frame houses still standing in Fredericksburg.
A reconstruction of the office of Thomas Read, first clerk appointed in Charlotte County in 1770. The small brick Clerk's Office currently serves as the Charlotte County Museum.
Site of the tombs of Augustine Warner and members of the Warner and Lewis Families. Among the descendants of Warner are George Washington and Robert E. Lee.
Preservation Virginia’s Historic Sites, Open to the publicFrom the first permanent English colony to the struggle for independence and the burgeoning new Republic to the present day, Preservation Virginia’s sites span the history of this nation. Become part of the history and visit today.
Legacy PropertiesFor 125 years, Preservation Virginia’s efforts have saved more than 200 unique Virginia’s historic places across the Commonwealth. Today, some of these sites remain in Preservation Virginia’s portfolio. Other properties are opened to the public and are owned and operated by independent organizations.
Circa Third Quarter 17th Century