Visit

Indicator Arrow
Property Bar

Hugh Mercer Apothecary Shop

ca. 1771
1020 Caroline Street, Fredericksburg, VA 22401

hugh-mercer-apothecary-crop.jpg

Now owned and operated by Washington Heritage Museums.  For information on hours and admission, please visit their website.

This eighteenth-century building was restored to house the Hugh Mercer Apothecary Shop, a museum of medicine, pharmacy, and military and political affairs. Dr. Mercer served the citizens of Fredericksburg with medicines and treatments of the time. Leeches, lancets, snakeroot, and crab claws made up just some of the remedies.

Dr. Mercer practiced medicine for fifteen years in Fredericksburg. His patients included Mary Washington. Dr. Mercer left his practice to join the Revolutionary army and died as a Brigadier General at the Battle of Princeton.

Visitors today can enjoy colorful first- person tours of the reconstructed apothecary shop. The building was operated as a museum by the Mary Washington Branch of Preservation Virginia. In 2013, Preservation Virginia offered the opportunity for local ownership of its Fredericksburg sites. As of January 3, 2013, Washington Heritage Museums (formerly Mary Washington Branch Preservation Virginia) officially assumed responsibilities to continue oversight of these properties. Preservation Virginia memberships will be honored throughout 2013. For more information, visit their website.

Visitor Information

Contact

www.washingtonheritagemuseums.org

540-373-1569