Mar 20, 2022
10:00 am — 3:30 pm
Description: Are you interested in exploring Foods and Recipes of the past? Would you like to learn historically accurate cooking techniques? Does cooking on an open fire appeal to you? Then sign up today for this Hands-On Workshop and learn how to cook as our ancestors did. Recreate recipes from 17th, 18th, and 19th-century sources and taste everything you make in class. Class Size is limited so sign up early. Pre-registration required. Ages 16+
Workshop organized and led by culinary historian Rebecca Suerdieck. Suerdieck is a second-generation Colonial Williamsburg Educator, with many years of experience in 17th and 18th century Living History Interpretation.
Tickets/info and registration: cookingandfire.com
$165 ($145 tuition paid in advance + $20 materials fee to be paid at check-in)
- Unique / Memorable use of Historic Space
- Hands-On Open Hearth Cooking Experience using Colonial-era Recipes/ Techniques
- Hand Outs of all Recipes/Techniques used in class
- Sampling of all Food made during the class
- Exploration of Colonial Recipes
- Fire Safety and Food Safety Training
- Best Practices for Fire Cooking/ Modern Safety Accommodations
- Tips on improving food options when cooking on a fire
What to wear to the Workshop:
- Work Clothing
You will be working near hot flames, ash, and soot, so you should wear clothes that may get dirty. Do not wear a tank top or short sleeves – a long sleeve shirt is best. Do not wear shorts/ capris – full-length jeans are best. All Garments should be from natural fiber. (100% cotton)
- Old Sneakers/ Work Shoes
For your safety, no open-toed shoes/ sandals are permitted. We recommend wearing old sneakers.
- Long Hair should be worn close to the head.
For your safety, wearing long hair loose and flowing is not recommended.
- No Extra Jewelry
Please remove any extra rings, bracelets, necklaces, watches. You do not need to remove Wedding Rings.
What to bring to the workshop:
- Old Oven Mitts
- Work Apron
- Hair Ties/ Clips (if needed)
- Bandana to cover hair (encouraged)
- Bottled Water
- Food Storage Containers
- Cell Phone or Camera (encouraged)
- Notebook & Pen (optional)
Note: Participants under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a paying Adult.