Press Room

Indicator Arrow

John Marshall Cadet Statue Unveiling

May 28, 2013

John Marshall Cadet Statue Unveiling

Sunday, June 2, 2013, at 2:30pm on the front lawn of the John Marshall House will be the site of a ceremony dedicating a six-foot bronze statue in memory of the thousands of young men who wore the uniform of the John Marshall Corps of Cadets from 1915-1971.
The dedication will begin at 2:30 p.m. Marshall Street between 8th and 9th will be closed to vehicle traffic from 2-4 p.m. 
This event is open to the public.  The unveiling will include a band, and a commemorative service.  The John Marshall House will be open and continue to offer tours from 12:00pm- 5:00pm.

 

About The John Marshall House

This large two story brick house located in the heart of Richmond 's fashionable 19th century "Court End" district was home to John Marshall and his wife Polly, and their family from 1790 until his death in 1835.

 

Marshall is best known as the "Great Chief Justice" for his role in creating the modern Supreme Court. He served from 1801 until his death in 1835 and his influential decisions such as Marbury v. Madison helped shaped the principle of judicial review. Marshall was a true Founding Father, serving in local, state and national government as well as the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of the United States Government. He was also well known locally as a leading member of Richmond society and a gracious and jovial host.

 

Listed on the National and Virginia historic registers, the John Marshall House has undergone remarkably few changes since Marshall's lifetime. The property remained in the Marshall family until 1911 when it was sold to the City of Richmond. Originally slated for destruction in order to make way for the John Marshall High School, the house was saved by local preservationists. Preservation Virginia has operated the John Marshall House as a museum since 1913 and is celebrating a century of preservation.

 

About Preservation Virginia

Preservation Virginia, a private non-profit organization and statewide historic preservation leader founded in 1889, is dedicated to perpetuating and revitalizing Virginia's cultural, architectural and historic heritage thereby ensuring that historic places are integral parts of the lives of present and future generations. Preservation Virginia provides leadership, experience, influence, and services to the public and special audiences by saving, managing, and protecting historic places, and developing preservation policy, programs, and strategies with individuals, organizations, and local, state, and national partners. For more information, visitwww.preservationvirginia.org, find us on Facebook or Follow us on Twitter @preservationva.

 

For more information on the John Marshall House please contact Bobbie LeViness, Site Coordinator at (804) 648-7998 or johnmarshllhouse@preservationvirginia.org.

 

###

Press Contact

Jennifer Hurst-Wender

Associate Director of Museum Operations and Education

(804) 314-7530

jhurstwender@preservationvirginia.org

Press Contact

Press Contact

Jennifer Hurst-Wender

Associate Director of Museum Operations and Education

(804) 314-7530

jhurstwender@preservationvirginia.org