Patrick Henry’s Scotchtown
Explore Patrick Henry's Scotchtown in Hanover County
Scotchtown is the only original standing home of Patrick Henry, patriot and orator of the American Revolution. Henry lived here from 1771-1778 and concieved his most influential revolutionary ideas at the home, including the ideas for his famous "Liberty or Death" speech. On March 23, 1775, Henry rode from Scotchtown to St. John's Church in Richmond to deliver the speech.
Plan Your Visit
- Guided Tour: 45 minutes, interpreters cover the life and legacy of Patrick Henry. Tours are dialogue based and feature discussions about Henry's ideals of liberty, human rights and revolution.
- Self-Guided Exhibits: 45 minutes for self-guided tours of two museum rooms, the kitchen and outbuildings.
- Cell Phone Tour: Experience Scotchtown even when we're closed with our cell phone tour.
- Museum Store: Books and souvenirs are available for purchase.
- Covered Pavilion: Eat lunch under our covered pavilion. 12 picnic tables are available that can seat 50+ people. Electrical outlets are available.
Visit the area! From Hanover Tavern (where Patrick Henry once lived and worked) to the Hanover County Courthouse Complex, there's plenty of history to explore in Hanover County!
March 2, 2018 - December 30, 2018
Friday: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
|Preservation Virginia Members:||Free (Become a Member)|
|AAA Members, Military and Senior Citizens (60+):||$9|
|Children Under 6:||
|Block Ticket with the John Marshall House: $14|
Book Your Group Tour!
Friday through Sunday groups of ten or more are charged at a rate of $7.00 per adult and $6.00 per youth. Monday through Thursday general tours for up to twelve people are $100 per hour, and any additional visitors increase the price in intervals: 1-12 visitors: $100, 13-25 visitors: $200, and so on. Group tours are available at any time by arrangements made no less than one week in advance of the visit.
Are you a tour bus operator? Click here to see how we can accomodate your next tour of Hanover!
Site Event Rental:
- Pavilion Rental: $50 per hour.
- Open House Tours: $100 per hour (during hours not regularly opened to the public).
- Grounds Rental: $50 per hour.
- Meeting Space Rental: $100 per hour. Interior Rental: $200 per hour (during hours not regularly opened to the public). To utilize the interior of Scotchtown exclusively for your event during regularly open hours, an additional fee of $200 per hour will be charged.