Jobs & Internships
Preservation Virginia has staff across the Commonwealth advocating on behalf of historic places, interpreting the sites we own and operate and working with local communities. If you’re interested in joining our team, review our current job openings and follow the instructions to apply.
Donor Relations and Event Coordinator
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, benefited position based at our headquarters office in Richmond. The starting salary range is $40,000-$42,000 with paid vacation, sick leave and a health insurance.
The donor relations and event coordinator is responsible for administering development office functions while leading event planning and volunteer management. This role coordinates donor database operations, helps plan event logistics, identifies corporate sponsor prospects and stewards organizational volunteers. This position reports to the director of development.
- In coordination with the annual fund manager and director of development, maintain and update the donor database. Process donations and acknowledgements of gifts and pledges
- Prepare and mail acknowledgement letters and other necessary documentation
- Assist in monthly membership mailings and donor stewardship
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of Preservation Virginia events, including donor appreciation gatherings, public events at our historic sites, and statewide preservation programs
- Work directly with event logistics contractors such as caterers, rental companies, and venues, as well as graphic designers and printers for the creation of invitations and event materials
- Track RSVPs for events and assist in attendee follow ups, including surveys and solicitation mailings
- Assist in the identification and cultivation of corporate sponsor opportunities. Track corporate sponsor deadlines and assist in follow-ups
- Aid in tracking event budgets and generating revenue reports
- Help coordinate and steward Preservation Virginia Volunteer Program. Track volunteer hours, help attract new volunteers, and assist in planning volunteer thank you opportunities
- Work closely with team members within and outside the development department to meet their event and volunteer needs
- Assists donors as needed and participate in the overall success of the development department
- Contribute to the effort to build a culture of philanthropy, maintaining relationships with staff members throughout the organization
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree preferred with experience in event planning, non-profit development or marketing. Demonstrated organizational skills with attention to detail and ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects. This position requires both analytical and creative thinking. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with and motivate team members and volunteers. Ability to work independently and brainstorm new ideas for systems, events and stewardship. Proficiency in Microsoft Office. Experience with Raiser’s Edge database preferred.
This position is 40 hours per week, mainly Monday through Friday. Some evening and weekend hours expected for special events. Some travel required for events and supporter meetings.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Will Glasco at email@example.com The position is open until filled. EOE
Preservation Virginia does not discriminate against any individual or group of individuals based on age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, national origin, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy and sexual orientation), genetic information or veteran status.
Bacon’s Castle – Historic Interpreter
The position of Bacon’s Castle Historic Interpreter is a part-time, hourly position without benefits. Located in Surry County, Bacon’s Castle is the oldest brick home in North America. Built in 1665, it is owned and operated by Preservation Virginia, the oldest statewide preservation organization in the nation.
Requirements: Must be over 18, able to move 30lbs, be able to climb up and down stairs repeatedly. Must enjoy working with and speaking to the public for several hours at a time and operating a cash register. Prior knowledge of American History and or giving public tours preferred.
The duties of the position are as follows:
- Interpreters will provide accurate and well-organized tours of the house and extant buildings and garden to the general public, tour groups, and school groups.
- Interpreters welcome the public, sell tickets, and direct visitors to facilities, exhibits, and interesting aspects of the site.
- Interpreters represent Bacon’s Castle and Preservation Virginia to visitors and shall conduct themselves at all times courteously and professionall. Interpreters will inform visitors of the organization’s goals and programs, the need for financial support, and the advantages of becoming a member.
- Interpreters assist in providing security and care for the site, building, and collections. They help ensure the safety of the visiting public and must respond calmly and professionally to emergencies. They follow institutional procedures and will report any changes in the condition of the house or collection promptly to the Site Coordinator.
- Interpreters assist with special programs, including but not limited to site rentals and special events, often held on evenings and weekends.
- Interpreters participate actively in regularly scheduled staff meetings and training opportunities. Interpreters are required to update or modify their tours as new and relevant information becomes available.
- Interpreters assist in the office as needed when not giving tours, for example by answering the telephone or doing clerical work.
- Interpreters assist with keeping Bacon’s Castle clean, including but not limited to keeping the staff areas (kitchen and desk area) clean and tidy, cleaning the bathrooms, taking out the trash, sweeping the house, porch, and steps daily, etc.
- Interpreters open and close the house, if trained and required to do so.
- Interpreters welcome visitors into the museum store, encourage sales and answer questions, operate the cash register and keep accurate sales records as directed, and keep the shop tidy and well-stocked.
Bacon’s Castle Interpreters report to the Bacon’s Castle Site Coordinator and are responsible for other duties, as assigned.
The position is as-scheduled but interpreters can expect to work 18-90 hours per month.
To apply, click here and print out an application. Please complete the application and email a scanned copy along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open until filled. EOE.